What Is Better? Cotton or Polyester?
When it comes to choosing fabrics for drapery, it can be a bit difficult unless you are a designer.
Choosing the right drapery plays a significant role in the overall aesthetics of a room, but also brings out a bit of your personality by what you decide on.
Among the many fabric options available, cotton and polyester seem to be the most popular choices right now in the industry.
Each fabric has its own set of characteristics, advantages, and disadvantages. In this article, we will explore the differences between cotton and polyester for drapery, helping you make an informed decision for your home decor.
The Pros & Cons When Choosing Cotton Fabrics
What makes cotton stand out is the fact it’s a natural fiber derived from the cotton plant’s fluffy balls. It has been used for centuries in textiles and is known for its breathability, softness, and versatility. Here is why people choose cotton over polyester for window treatments.
- Cotton drapery is incredibly soft to the touch.
- Cotton is highly breathable and allows air to circulate, making it the right choice for warmer climates.
- Cotton is generally easy to care for and can be machine washed or dry cleaned.
- A renewable and biodegradable material, which is quite a popular choice nowadays.
- Cotton curtains are prone to wrinkling, and they often require ironing or steaming to maintain a smooth and neat appearance.
- Another downside is the colors tend to fade faster than polyester fabrics. Basically, the moment the sun hits the fabric without lining it fades within the year.
- If you have toddlers running around your house it might not be the right choice. Cotton is absorbent, which means it can easily absorb spills and stains.
- One thing that usually makes the average consumer pick polyester is the price. Most natural fabrics such as linens and cottons you often pay the premium price.
Considering Using Polyester Curtains?
The decision between cotton and polyester for your drapery depends on your specific needs and preferences. But here is why polyester drapery is still the first choice amongst consumers.
These days polyester fabrics can mimic the look of cotton until you touch it. Polyester doesn’t fade as fast as cotton, and can still give a brand new look after years after your purchase.